SASSA Care Dependency Grant – How Apply & Approve Grant

SASSA Care dependency grants (also called disability child grants) are financial aids provided by SASSA for parents, foster families, and primary caregivers of children with serious physical or mental impairments who require full-time or special home care.

Children with disabilities can apply for the grant from birth to age 18. A doctor designated by SASSA must assess the child’s disabilities. The child must receive full-time home care but not at any state institution.

How to apply for the Care Dependency Allowance

The SASSA-assigned doctor will evaluate the child before you can apply for the grant. After the SASSA medical assessment, you can read the SASSA website instructions to fill out the application for the SASSA care dependency grant online.

If you’re too sick, old, or disabled to submit your application yourself, you can ask a family member, friend, or trusted relative. You should give the person who is applying for you a note from your doctor explaining why you are unable to visit the SASSA offices.

SASSA has application forms that must be filled out before an officer. If you cannot fill in the form yourself, an officer can help you. This officer will conduct your interview or take over the interview of your designated person and let you know if you qualify for the grant.

You will be given a receipt bearing the date and the name of the SASSA officer who helped you with your application. This receipt proves that you applied, even if you don’t qualify.

SASSA Care Dependency Grant

Required Documents for Care Dependency Grant

When applying for a care dependency grant, you must bring with you the following (originals or certified copies).

  • Identification Documents
  • Original 13-digit barcode identification document (Identity Document).
  • You will need your refugee identification card and status permit if you’re a refugee.
  • Birth Certificate of an infant with a valid identification number.
  • You can’t get a birth certificate or ID if you’re not in possession of one.
  • The SASSA official will provide you with the form or you can download it here. The form will be provided by a SASSA official, but you can also Download the SASSA Affidavit here.
  • Documentation from the Department of Home Affairs should confirm that you’ve applied for an identification card or birth certificate.
  • The Department of Home Affairs will provide you with a temporary identification document. (if applicable).
  • If you possess a baptismal certificate.
  • If available, the school certificate
  • If you have it, a Road to Health Clinic Card (RTHC).
  • You must provide proof of your marriage status.
  • If you’re married, you can get a marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree: If the marriage has ended.
  • If your spouse has died, you will need to obtain a Death Certificate.
  • Documents revealing your earnings and those of your spouse are required for married couples. Foster parents are not covered by this condition.
  • If you are employed, payslips or your bank statement for the past 3 months.
  • UIF Card if you receive UIF benefits
  • If you were previously employed, please provide either a certificate of termination from your previous employer or proof of membership in the Unemployment Insurance Fund.
  • If you receive a pension, then you will need to keep a receipt.
  • You must provide proof of financial assistance you’ve received for your child, or that you tried to obtain financial aid from the parents but were unsuccessful.
  • Proof of income for the child.
  • You must prove that you have the responsibility of caring for the child, even if you’re not its biological parents.
  • Affidavit of a police station.
  • Report by the Social Worker
  • Permission from the biological parents of an infant to take care of that child.
  • The principal of the school where the child is enrolled.
  • Only foster parents can obtain a court order officially naming you as the legal parent of a child.
  • A medical assessment report certifies the child’s disability, and confirms that the child receives permanent support or care at home.

Process Time to Apply for SASSA Care Dependency Allowance

Processing time is 3 months for care dependency grants. You will be paid all of the amounts due to you from the day you made your application. If your application has not been accepted by SASSA, you will receive a letter that explains the reasoning behind the decision. It also guides you in the process of appealing the decision.

Criteria for Care Dependency Grant

To be eligible to receive the Care Dependency Grant, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be either a South African national, recognized as a refugee, or hold a status of permanent residence to qualify for this grant.
  • If you are a parent or primary caregiver of an under-18-year-old child, then this is the program for you.
  • It is not appropriate for the child to be cared for long term in an institution of state.
  • Both you and your child must reside in South Africa.
  • It is necessary to show that your child suffers from a serious disability, and receives full-time care at home.
  • If you are married, both your spouse and yourself must meet the requirements of the means test.
  • You should have a monthly income of no more than R20 800. If you are married, your combined annual income cannot exceed R499200 (R41600 per month). Foster parents are not subject to this condition.

What is the SASSA Care Dependency Grant Means test?

SASSA’s means test evaluates the applicants for care dependency grants to make sure that they are only eligible. If you’re single, the annual income must not exceed R249 600. If you are married, your combined annual income cannot exceed R499200.

Foster parents do not have to meet the criteria for the means-test. If their child has a severe disability, applicants of foster children grants may also be eligible for care dependency grants. The criteria used to determine applicants’ financial eligibility for each grant differ.